Radiance Technologies Innovation Bowl Competition
Official Contest Rules
Description of Contest
Radiance Technologies, an Alabama based company located at 310 Bob Heath Drive, Huntsville, Alabama 35806 and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. 401 Market Street, Shreveport, LA 71101 are jointly sponsoring an academic challenge (Innovation Bowl) for those schools affiliated with the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl. The intention of the competition is to support engineering talent, create innovative solutions and approaches to real world problems and foster friendly academic competition across the schools associated with the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl.
Who Can Enter?
- Participation is open to all schools affiliated with the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl. Currently this entails schools from the PAC-12, Big 12, American Athletic Conference, Sun Belt, and Army. It is expected that teams can be either faculty lead or student lead. It is up to the individual teams to decide on the number of team members, provided each team has no more than one faculty representative.
- Teams wishing to participate must provide authorization to Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation from their respective University proving that they have the right to participate in the contest and that the affiliated University shall be bound by the terms herein.
- To be eligible to participate on a team entrants must be currently enrolled in the university participating in this event. Proof of current enrollment is required to claim a prize.
- Officers, directors, and employees of Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. and its respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies, and any other company involved in the development or execution of the contest at any time during the contest period, and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, and grandchildren (including “in-laws” and those related by current or past marriage, remarriage, adoption, co-habitation, or other familial extension).
How to Enter
- Teams should Enter online at Radiancetech.com/InnovationBowl/Apply.
- NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER. MAKING A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING A PRIZE. The competition is structured in two phases: Phase 1 being a virtual, initial assessment phase conducted in the fall leading to a down select of three teams to participate in Phase 2. Phase 2 culminates in an in-person presentation of up to two members per team for each of the three teams. From these presentations, one winning team will be selected by the Radiance Technologies panel.
- Phase 1 will involve teams from each university that have formally agreed to participate in the competition. These teams will compete against one another to be selected as one of the three finalists (Phase 2) that will be eligible for a cash prize.
- Phase 1 begins with teams notifying Radiance Technologies of their interest by registering online by 1 October. Only those teams that are registered by 1 October are eligible to compete in the remainder of Phase 1 and be eligible for Phase 2 activities.
- Teams agreeing to participate grant Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. the right to list the Team Name, team members and their school affiliation on any media for promotional or news release purposes.
- To enter, the competition teams must visit radiancetech.com/Innovation Bowl/Apply website and fill out the application form by 1 October. They may choose to attend the virtual workshops but must submit all required information and their Phase 1 final report must be uploaded to the Radiance website by 15 November for judging consideration.
- Judging: Radiance Technologies Subject Matter Experts (SME) will evaluate all Phase 1 Innovation Bowl submissions to determine the top three submissions. Submissions will be judged based on innovation, technical feasibility, and benefit. The three finalists will be announced during the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl.
- Phase 2: The three selected teams will move to Phase 2 where they will further develop and refine their innovative idea of Phase 1. A separate timeline of events will be worked with the three remaining teams to minimize conflicts with school schedules.
- Phase 2 Competition Judging: Phase 2 teams will travel to Radiance Technologies to make their final presentations. Radiance Technologies will cover all travel expenses for up to two team members provided it is in alignment with Radiance Travel Policies which are governed by US Government directives. Additional information concerning travel will be provided separately. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not responsible for any issues arising from travel and travel associated events. Each team will make an in-person presentation of their innovate approach and findings. Radiance SMEs will select the winning submission based on innovation, technical feasibility and benefit.
- By entering, entrants represent and warrant (i) that they are the developers and owners of approach or innovation being submitted, and (ii) it does not violate the rights of any third parties, including, but not limited to, any intellectual property rights. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. reserve the right in its sole and absolute discretion to disqualify any entry.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer, or any other electronic malfunction.
- There will be one (1) sole winner for the Innovation Bowl challenge. The winning team will receive a cash prize of $25,000. The prize will be awarded to the university or department. Respective university or department will be responsible for the distribution of monies which is governed by the separate university policies for which Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not responsible.
- The awarding of the prize will only occur if at least five or more teams participate in the initial Phase 1 competition and at least two are selected for Phase 2. If there are fewer submissions no prize will be awarded except at the discretion of Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc.
- Phase 2 Competition: The winning team will receive a cash prize of $25,000, and a mention in a national press release. The team is responsible, in accordance with university policy for the manner in which it disperses the cash prize.
- The winner will be notified by the email address provided during registration. Before claiming the prize, the winning team must validate or reconfirm the team members correct name, address, and telephone number. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within fourteen (14) days of notification. Team members must also show proof of current enrollment at a university. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. reserve the right to request and examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
- Prize will be subject to all Federal and State tax regulations and laws if applicable.
- There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
- Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state, and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
- Only one prize will be awarded.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not responsible for any liability arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
- In entering this contest, participants agree that they will help Radiance Technologies in obtaining any rights to use their respective University’s logos for marketing related materials to be used for this contest only.
- In claiming your prize, you acknowledge, and agree, that Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice, hometown and state, and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide without financial remuneration.
Chances of Winning/Miscellaneous
- Chances of winning depend on the number of valid entries received.
- Complete contest rules are published on Radiancetech.com/InnovationBowl/rules.
- The three winners of Phase 1 will be announced at the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl and published on the Radiance Technologies and The Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. website. The final cash prize winner of Phase 2 will be announced at the end of the Spring Semester and published on various media to gain widespread attention.
- This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. accepts no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession, or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes, or contest information. Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. are not responsible for any computer or electronic malfunction, server unavailability, technological glitch, or human error relating to this contest and/or the use of short-code.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. reserve the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned competition dates. If this happens, all entrants whom the changes affect will be notified by the email address provided during registration to Radiance Technologies.
- By entering this competition, each entrant waives any and all claims of liability against Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. and its respective parents, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, for any and all claims, loss, damage or injury which may occur as a result of entrant’s participation in this contest.
- Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. reserve all rights to cancel, suspend, or modify the competition at any time.
- Each entrant and winner agrees to release and hold harmless Radiance Technologies and the Independence Bowl Foundation, Inc. its affiliated and related companies, successors and assigns, suppliers, distributors, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of their officers, directors, employees, representatives, contractors and agents (collectively “Released Parties”) from and against any claims, demands, causes of action, injuries, losses, damages or other liability of any kind that may arise from participation in the contest or from acceptance, possession, or use of any prize.
- The intellectual property created in this competition shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this contest constitutes entrant’s irrevocable and perpetual permission and consent, without further compensation, with or without attribution, to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display such submission for any purpose, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, trade, commercial, and publicity purposes by Radiance Technologies and/or others authorized by Radiance Technologies, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world. Radiance Technologies and and/or others authorized by Radiance Technologies shall have the right to edit, adapt, and modify the process, procedures, technologies or any other aspects of relevancy related to the submission.
- This Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama, without reference to its conflict of laws principles. By entering the contest, entrants hereby submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal and state courts located in Madison County, Alabama and waive the right to have disputes arising out of the subject matter hereof adjudicated in any other forum.